Gynecomastia Surgery/Male Breast Reduction in Nashville, TN, with Dr. Cash
Gynecomastia surgery, or male breast reduction, is plastic surgery to reduce the size of overly large male breasts to give a more masculine look to your upper body and alleviate discomfort.
To learn more about male breast reduction in Nashville, TN, and how it might benefit you, contact Nashville Plastic Surgery today to schedule a consultation with Michael Cash, M.D. Dr. Cash has attained double certification from the American Board of Plastic Surgery and the American Board of Surgery. He has the training and expertise to perform complex reconstructive surgery and customized cosmetic procedures with remarkably natural-looking results.
What Is Gynecomastia?
Gynecomastia is a condition in which male breasts become enlarged. It can develop at any age, even before puberty, and become more extreme as a result of hormone changes, weight gain, or the use of certain medications. Sometimes gynecomastia has a genetic component, as some men are more prone to developing the condition than others. Mild cases caused by excess weight may be improved with diet and exercise. Other cases may require surgery to restore masculine contours to the chest. Gynecomastia caused by medication can sometimes be corrected by working with the doctor to find a different and equally effective medication. In some cases, gynecomastia affects the two breasts in different ways, causing asymmetry.
Gynecomastia can make you feel self-conscious and embarrassed about your body. It can lead you to avoid activities you enjoy, like swimming or going to the beach. It can make you reluctant to open yourself to intimacy.
What Is Gynecomastia Surgery or Male Breast Reduction?
The most effective treatment for significant gynecomastia is surgery to reduce the amount of fat and glandular tissue in the breast.
- Sometimes removing excess fat is enough to restore a masculine shape to the breasts. This can be done using liposuction.
- When enlarged glandular tissue contributes to large breast size, surgery to remove excess breast tissue may be needed.
- Where the breasts have become enlarged to the point where they sag or the areola has stretched and expanded, surgery can also lift and tighten the skin of the breast and reduce the size of the areola.
Why Might I Consider the Best Gynecomastia Surgery in Nashville?
You might choose to have male breast reduction to:
- Restore a masculine look to your chest
- Eliminate self-consciousness and embarrassment about your appearance
- Free yourself to engage in activities where men typically remove their shirts, such as swimming
- Relieve discomfort of enlarged breasts, especially when engaged in active exercise or sports
- Have more clothing choices and wear the clothes you prefer
- Correct breast asymmetry
- Feel proud of your body and better about yourself
View our male breast reduction before-and-after photo gallery to see the improvements Dr. Cash has helped his patients realize.
Why Choose Dr. Cash for Male Breast Reduction Surgery?
Your choice of male breast reduction surgeon is the paramount decision you’ll make in the process. Ample experience with this procedure is crucial. Always choose a surgeon who is board-certified through the American Board of Plastic Surgery, which is the only valid board certification for a plastic surgeon. Dr. Cash has earned certification from the ABPS and the American Board of Surgery (for his other medical work).
Choose a surgeon who listens and whose results demonstrate a flexible and customized approach. A skilled surgeon will tailor the details of each cosmetic procedure to your unique needs and desires. As one of the best male breast reduction surgeons in Nashville, Dr. Cash will spend time with you to understand the results you hope to achieve. He’ll explain what you should realistically expect, plus the risks and costs. He equips his patients with the knowledge they need to confidently make decisions, always treating everyone with respect and attention.
Am I a Good Candidate for Gynecomastia Surgery?
Dr. Cash can tell you if you are a good candidate for male breast reduction in your consultation. You may be a good candidate for the procedure if you:
- Are embarrassed about your appearance because of your breasts
- Are bothered by limits on your activity because of your breasts
- Experience physical discomfort from enlarged breasts
- Have two differently sized breasts
- Are in generally good health
- Are able to maintain a healthy, stable weight
- Do not smoke, or are willing to quit for several weeks before and after the procedure
If you are overweight and plan to lose weight through diet and exercise, discuss this in your consultation with Dr. Cash. He may recommend that you postpone the surgery until you are closer to your ideal BMI for better long-term results.
Planning Your Male Breast Reduction
Your breast reduction procedure at Nashville Plastic Surgery starts with a consultation with Dr. Cash. He will examine you, ask questions to learn your medical history and understand your goals for the procedure, listen to your concerns, and answer your questions.
When he has a full understanding of your wishes, he will recommend a surgical approach that will give you the results you want with the least risk. He will describe what the procedure entails, its risks and cost, and what you can expect in recovery as you heal from the surgery.
Dr. Cash’s goal in every cosmetic procedure is to produce the most attractive and natural-looking results with the least discomfort and lowest level of risk for the patient.
Schedule A Consultation
Meet Dr. Michael Cash
At Nashville Plastic Surgery, our mission is to treat you with the utmost respect, help you make an educated decision, and provide you with the finest medical services in a safe and professional environment.
Dr. Cash, our board-certified plastic surgeon, specializes in breast augmentation, tummy tuck, liposuction, and more. Schedule a consultation today to learn more!
What Does Male Breast Reduction Surgery Involve?
Gynecomastia surgery is performed under general anesthesia. Two approaches are used:
- In liposuction, a thin tube (cannula) is inserted through a small incision. The fat is then broken up using one of several techniques and suctioned out through the cannula.
- In tissue excision, small incisions are made through which excess glandular tissue is removed. If the skin of the breast has stretched and lost the elasticity needed to adjust to the reduced breast size, excess skin will also be removed, and the contours of the breasts will be raised. The areola may be reduced in size.
- In many cases, the surgery involves a combination of liposuction and tissue excision.
Male breast reduction surgery usually takes about two hours. When the anesthesia has worn off, and you are fully alert, you can go home. You’ll need a friend or family member to drive you and stay with you for the first night.
Transformative Results Today!
What to Expect in Recovery
You’ll need some time for rest and recovery at home after your surgery and should plan to take a week off from work, longer if your job involves physical exertion. You may experience some discomfort in the first few days, which you can manage with pain medication. You may also have some swelling and bruising, which will gradually resolve as your tissue heals. Drains may be placed, and you may be supplied with a compression garment to control swelling and promote healing.
Dr. Cash will provide you with detailed instructions on how to take care of yourself as you recover, when to see him for follow-up appointments, and how to reach him with any concerns. You can resume low-impact activities and exercise after about two weeks, gradually building up to your typical activity level by about six weeks after surgery.
Schedule Your Nashville Breast Reduction Consultation Today
Contact Nashville Plastic Surgery online or by calling (615) 454-2271 to schedule a consultation for male breast reduction with Dr. Cash. He will examine you, ask questions to understand your goals for the procedure, and recommend the best and safest approach. Patients in metro Nashville and throughout Middle Tennessee choose Dr. Cash as their cosmetic surgeon because of his ability to create stunning results and the caring attention he and his staff provide.
Frequently Asked Questions About Male Breast Reduction
Yes, but the scars will be concealed in the natural contours of your breasts. The scars will be most noticeable for the first few months, after which they gradually fade to match the color of your skin.
Like most cosmetic surgery, breast reduction is generally considered elective and thus is not covered by most health insurance providers. The costs for your breast reduction will depend on the procedure used and where the operation is performed. We will explain the costs clearly and answer any questions you may have. We want all of our patients to be fully informed before they choose to have cosmetic surgery.